Tuesday 16 August 2011

Aldi v Branded Taste Test

I was asked to do a taste test between Aldi and branded products. You may have seen the recent adverts by Aldi ‘like brands but cheaper’, the tea one is my favourite.

I am a fan of Aldi and do buy quite a few of their products I also take advantage of their Super 6 fruit and veg every week.  I thought it would be interesting to see if there really was any difference apart from the price.

Belmont Milk Chocolate Digestives – 55p  vs  McVities Chocolate Digestive Biscuits  - £1.00

Belmont Milk Chocolate Digestive
  • Tasted really nice.
  • Good amount of chocolate.
  • Crumbly but not too much.
  • Chocolate didn’t taste cheap.
  • Dunked well in a cup of tea.


McVities Chocolate Digestive Biscuits
  • Found they tasted a bit salty.
  • Good amount of chocolate on top.
  • Dunked well in a cup of tea.


The Belmont biscuits just piped it to the post, I found the McVities a tad salty.

Harvest Morn Frosted Flakes – 99p vs Kelloggs Frosties - £1.98




Harvest Morn Frosted Flakes
  • Not overly sweet for a sugar coated cereal
  • Crunchy
  • Didn’t go soggy to quickly


Kelloggs Frosties
  • Super sweet
  • Crunchy
  • Found they went soggy quite quickly


The Harvest Morn Frosted Flakes tasted the best, they weren’t overly sweet.

Red Label 160 Tea Bags – 1.99 vs PG Tips 160 pack – £3.00




Red Label 160 Tea Bags
  • Tasted good
  • Nice colour
  • Good Strength


PG Tips 160 pack
  • Tasted good
  • Nice colour
  • Good Strength


Both made really good cups of tea, I would say they are both the same in taste.

Alcafe Rich Roast Coffee (200g) - £1.45 vs Nescafe Original Coffee Granules (200g) – £4.00


Alcafe Rich Roast Coffee
  • Smooth Taste
  • Strong
  • Don’t need too much in a mug
  • Nice aroma


Nescafe Original Coffee
  • Tasted weak
  • Had to use double the amount
  • Nice Aroma


Alcafe wins this one. I do like my coffee strong the Nescafe just didn’t hit the mark.

Bramwells Tomato Ketchup 563g, 69p vs Heinz Tomato Ketchup 570g, £1.95 each

Bramwells Tomato Ketchup
  • Good consistency
  • Tasted good


Heinz Tomato Ketchup
  • Good consistency
  • Tasted good


I found them both similar in taste. Neither was overly sweet or vinegary.

Throughout the taste tests I found that the Aldi products were either better in taste or on par with the branded product.

I would recommend if you are looking to save money on your shopping bill to get the Aldi products ago.


1 comment:

  1. This is a really useful test as I think sometimes people are worried about buying really cheap stuff because it might taste rubbish and be a false economy. This shows it's worth a try as you most likely won't lose out.

    ReplyDelete

Let me know if this was useful

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin