Monday 14 November 2011

Thanksgiving Thoughts

In this guest post, Becky from Baby Budgeting shares her reasons to be thankful, and reflects on this special time of year.

*******************


In the USA, Thanksgiving Day is celebrated on the fourth Thursday in November and I thought it might be nice to plan a little celebration.

I think Thanksgiving is always worth celebrating wherever you may be.

The first Thanksgiving in the USA was a feast in 1621 shared by the Pilgrims who had recently settled in the US and the Wampanoag Indians, who shared their corn, squash, and wild turkeys. They gave thanks for their harvest and the friendship with the American Indians that had bought them through that first, harsh winter.

It’s a lovely festival to tell children about as it fosters an ‘attitude of gratitude’ which is vital to positive emotional well being and helps our children appreciate what they have rather than wanting more. 

Always a good budgeting tactic!

Having a special family meal on this day, where you tell the thanksgiving story and say thank you to each other for all you bring to the family and for all the food on the table is lovely thing to do. Why not plan a special family tea and invite some people over who you love? It doesn’t have to be a big spread just a meal shared is good enough.

Another option for thanksgiving fun is to make a thanksgiving wreath.  Just draw round your child’s hand and layer different colour papers behind the hand drawn paper. Cut it out. You will now have lots of different coloured handprints. Now have your child decide what they want to say thank you for in their life. It could be their pet, their home, Granddad, their lego, etc. Write one of these on each hand. Stick them all around the outside of paper plate and add a photo of your child to the middle.

Tape some ribbon or string in a loop on the back so the thanksgiving wreath can be hung. This should be fun to make, cheap and a good ‘count your blessings’ experience.

My Thank  Yous.

Two of my oldest, dearest friends came over yesterday and spent 4 hours cleaning out all my kitchen cupboards which were a DISGRACE. Thank you ladies I am so grateful for your friendship, it means a lot to me x

I want to thank Naomi too for the constancy of her friendship and her loyalty and love that never lets me down.

And I am so thankful of course for my children,  who are life's blessings to me….


What are you thankful for?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Let me know if this was useful

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin