Wednesday 23 November 2011

Tried & Tested Christmas Gifts for Adults £20 and Under








Price:  £16 
Available from : QVC 

Suitable from:  5+ 


Initial Reaction: Beautifully boxed with 2 bottles containing a shower gel, bubble bath and shampoo and a body lotion. 


Pros:
  • Products fragranced with spiced chai tea making it really refreshing and warming with a festive feel.
  • Luxurious products
  • Make an excellent gift as comes in a great little box
  • Following up the bubble bath with the body lotion smells divine.
Cons:
  • Nothing!
Value for money? Good value for a luxurious product you wouldn’t necessarily buy for yourself but nice to receive as a treat. 


Overall Reaction: I loved this product with its warm, spicy scent good for an autumn/winter mornings in the shower or in the evening in the bath. 


By Louise






Price: £12.95 (price varies per pattern) 
Available from: http://www.smartmumuk.com/ 

Suitable from: 0m + 


Initial Reaction: A Cool and funky necklace for me to wear as well as being a teething tool for my son.


Pros:
  • Looks great
  • Lovely to wear
  • Son loves to grab it
  • 2x2 inch donut shaped teething pendants that hang on a black, silky cord with breakaway clasp
  • All teething products are non-toxic, phthalate, BPA, PVC, latex and lead free.
  • All pendants come with a breakaway clasp as an added safety measure.
  • They carry the very important CE trademark which means they meet strict safety standards.
  • Teething Bling went through four years of rigorous safety testing.
Cons:
  • Only con is encouraging your child to pull at the necklace around your neck and chew on it. Personally this doesn't bother me but may bother others.
Value for money? Yes as it is also a lovely piece of jewellery to wear. 


Overall Reaction: I loved this product as soon as I set my eyes on it. I received the coral pendant which isn't usually a colour I would wear but is actually very funky. Its great for my son as it is a nice bright colour. My son hasn't started chewing on it at all yet but as a breast feeding mother I wear it whilst feeding my son as it is something that he likes to hold. He is getting to that age now (4 ½ months) where is grabbing more and more at me so this jewellery is a great piece to wear to dress up an outfit without the need to worry about it breaking. 


 My son is also starting to teeth; in fact he is suffering quite a lot at the moment with his gums so I know it won't be long before he figures out that this is something else that he can chew on. I would highly recommend this product to other mothers and would buy it as a gift for an expectant mother. I am also looking at buying a bracelet from this range to go with the necklace as I love it so much.


By Vicky






Price: £12 
Available from: Baylis & Hardy 


Initial Reaction: Lovely set of products. You get two of everything 


Pros


 Steam Cream Wash
  • Thick soap that’s long lasting
  • Smelt great
  • Left my skin feeling great
 Body Polish.
  • Smells great.
  • Absorbs nicely into the skin
  • Leaves my skin feeling great.
Silky Skin Body Cream
  • Smells good
  • Thick cream that absorbs quickly
  • Left my skin feeling softer then ever
Steam shower Body Cleanser.
  • Smells great.
  • Soap was long lasting
  • Made my skin feel great.
Cons


 Steam Cream Wash
  • The seal was hard to get out, especially with wet hands.
Body Polish.
  • Product is slightly sticky
Silky Skin Body Cream
  • Non
Steam shower Body Cleanser
  • Seal was hard to peel off.
Value for money? I think this product is great value for money. 


Overall Reaction: This is a great product, I would definitely recommend to a friend and buy again. It would make a great Christmas present.


 


By Dani


  
Available from: Aventquest 
Price: £10.10


Initial impression:   I hadn't played at PC game for years so was interested to see if they were still fun to play.  I love hidden object games.


Pros
  • Easy to install
  • Started straight away
  • Easy to follow
  • Lots to do
  • Not easy
  • Enjoyable
  • Online support
Cons:
  •  Back story a little corny
  • There is a lot going on in each location sometimes I forgot to look for the extra items
  • Sometimes hard to find the items as I can’t get any closer to the screen
Value for money? Good 

Overall reaction: I really enjoyed playing this, its not easy which I liked. I do find I get a little addicted to these games and can be playing all night. Great game for those who like hidden object games


By Carol



Price: £20, or £9.20 on Amazon 
Available from: Bookshops, real and online 


Initial Reaction: Wow. Hungry? is a gorgeous and very stylish book. If you know innocent smoothies then you’ll be familiar with their quirky sense of humour and great design, and the book really builds on that distinctive feel. It’s a visual feast – which is odd considering that it isn’t dominated by images of the actual food, but the illustrations, bold design and ‘real’ photography are a delight. 


Pros: My favourite thing about Hungry? is all the extra bits. There are funky illustrations scattered through the book, which will entertain children from preschool to teens. The lists of how to fill time when you’re waiting for things to happen (a sauce to simmer, a roast to roast) are hilarious. Where recipes are brief (like the many variations on cake toppings), they’re illustrated and organised to make them really appealing. Throughout the book, ideas just jump off the page. 


 his isn’t just a recipe book – it’s a book all about food. It encourages the reader to eat seasonally, to learn about the ‘why’ of cooking and not just the ‘how’ – but it does it in an informal, accessible way. Some cookbooks can be off-putting and make proper food seem difficult, or beyond the aspirations of the average reader – Hungry? is the exact opposite. The mix of healthy, quality food and everyday fun and games (popcorn-eating games to play while you’re watching a film, a strange and totally random story about a boy and an army of prawns…) means that kids will pick this book off the shelf and be drawn in. It’s a book for all the family, and drives home loads of excellent food messages without being patronising or preachy. 


The ‘fruit-n-veg-o-meter’ in the back of the book is just fantastic. There’s space to draw the portions of fruit and veg you’ve eaten each day together with some useful information on how much makes up a portion. The best charts sent back to innocent even have the chance of winning a t-shirt. The baking section is massive and full of interesting new recipes – quite a few are healthier than your average cake too. The ‘Alternative Contents’ is genius – some of the best recipes, but organised a differently from the other contents so that it’s really easy to find what you need. 


Cons: As I mentioned above, there aren’t as many images of food as you would expect. When I’m cooking, I like to see what I’m aiming for (have I got the colour and texture right?) and while some of the recipes have a picture of the final dish, lots have shots of people instead. This adds a lot of character to the book, but it’s not ideal if you like to follow rules and recipes strictly. A couple of the things we made didn’t turn out quite right – my veggie burgers were delicious but really soggy (I think maybe my courgette was too big and my carrot too small?) and the Tiny banana and chocolate cookies were full of healthy ingredients but unfortunately tasted a bit too healthy (my kids loved making them, but generally refused to eat them) – next time I might sneak a couple of tablespoons of sugar in the mix. 


Quite a few of the recipes here (especially, I thought, in the Meat section) are classics modern family dishes: spag bol, cottage pie, beef stew – I have a family, I already have recipes for these things that I’ve tweaked and perfected over the years. But given that the other sections are full of interesting, innovative and tempting dishes, I’m happy to move on from the meat. 


Value for money? At the current price on Amazon, absolutely! Definitely yes. Go and buy it now! 


Overall Reaction: Despite being able to pick some faults with this book, I do absolutely love it. It makes food and cooking fun and non-threatening and it would be absolutely perfect for getting the whole family involved in cooking and eating together. My kids really enjoyed cooking from it (although they’re a bit little to properly appreciate it) and my husband thought the food was really tasty. 


Hungry? is both beautiful and functional and would make a fantastic gift to be used and treasured for years to come.


By Kirsty



 Price: £18 
Available from: Maidenform 


Initial Reaction:I couldn't wait to try this out; I need something to smooth the bumps Pros:
    Flexees® Weightless Power® Everyday Slimming Chemise
  • Really smoothes the figure
  • Lightweight
  • Supportive
  • Invisible under clothes
Cons:
  • I found that occasion it rode up and that was annoying
Value for money? Great price, shapewear can be really expensive 


Overall Reaction:  This had the desired effect I was going for. It helped smooth my bumps and showed off my curves.   I couldn’t wear it every day but for when you’re wearing that special dress this is a must.






By Carol



Flash DashPrice:  From £18 
Available from:  Dove SpaWidely available 
Suitable from:  For all tired mums and busy women 


Initial Reaction:  Having been a life long beauty addict I was pleased to be testing out these beauty drops (for fatigued skin) but was of course a little dubious about the end result. I’ve tried lots of similar products that promise the same thing yet very few actually deliver.  Either that or my expectations are way too high. 


Pros:  Very easy to apply; the product is sold in a small slim bottle that has a squeeze and release dropper for you to use as much or as little as is required. It glides on to the skin wonderfully and is absorbed almost immediately.


Cons:  None.  I absolutely loved this product and, wait for it….it actually did what it said it would. My tired and dull looking skin was almost immediately transformed and appeared much more revitalised and plump.


Value for money? Yes 


Overall Reaction:  I haven’t just used this product for special nights out, I now use it day and night and it’s firmly won a place in my make-up bag.  I won’t leave home without it!


   
By Jenny

No comments:

Post a Comment

Let me know if this was useful

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin