Monday 12 October 2009

Frugal Recipes from Andrea Daly

A few weeks ago on one my something for the weekend posts I pointed you in the direction of Andrea Daly from the Accidental Businessmum and her Frugal recipes for cookies and flapjacks.

Well she is kindly sharing some more recipes with us!

I'll let Andrea introduce herself;

My name is Andrea and I live in Coventry with my OH (Other Half) Pete. Between us we have four children and would describe ourselves as a very modern ’Pick ‘n’ mix’ family.

Why the AccidentalBusinessMum?

Up until June 2007, I was working as a therapist and lecturer in Complementary Therapies at a Further Education College. I then went on maternity leave to have baby no:3.

Whilst on maternity leave I started to help my Other Half with his business, BeingaMillionaire. He was getting a steady flow of orders but wasn’t very good at posting them! I took over on that side and then got sucked into dealing with orders, sending samples and before I knew it I was running the thing!!

Pretty soon I was learning how to drive traffic to the site and could hold my own when discussing pings, jpegs and tweets…. all of this by accident!

I gave up my job, began working from home and here I am, 18months later and still going strong.


Savoury Spaghetti
I'm starting to become a little obsessed with feeding my family frugally. Even when I have the cash to do a 'big' shop, I still find myself counting the pennies.



The benefit is that more money can go towards other things like holidays and treats.


I recently dug out an old recipe that I used to make when I first became a vegetarian almost 25 years ago. I thought I would try it out on the kids..again!



My poor kids, I'm sure that one day they would like sit down to a pork chop and boiled potatoes.

This is a cheap and tasty alternative to Spaghetti Bolognase and serves 4/5 hungry people.

You'll need the following:


100g Green Lentils
1 can chopped tomatoes
550ml vegetable stock made with a stock cube
1 chopped Onion
1 crushed garlic clove
Pinch of dried basil
Salt and pepper
300g Spaghetti
Blue Cheese to crumble over the top.



1.Put all the ingredients in a bowl except the cheese and spaghetti


2. Bring to the boil and simmer for around 20mins or until the lentils become soft


3. Cook the Spaghetti according to the packet instructions


4. Drain the spaghetti, spoon over the sauce and crumble blue cheese over the top.


I had forgotten how great it tasted and the kids lapped it up. None of them are keen on blue cheese so they had a strong cheddar grated over instead and lots of black pepper...yum!!!



A great accompaniment to this and any pasta dish is:



Cheesy Garlic Bread.



This couldn't easier or cheaper!


Buy a double pack of part baked baguettes. I get mine from Sainsbury's basic range, 29p per pack.


Add a generous teaspoon of garlic paste to a large knob of butter and mix.


Make deep cuts across the bread and spread the garlic butter in between.


Grate generous helpings of cheese over the bread and bake in the oven 200C/Gas mark 6 for 8-10 mins.



If you're serving it up for friends, you can sprinkle chopped parsley over the top to make it look really posh!


The bread and the pasta dish together costs around £3 for five people if you buy basic.

I made ours to have after we had been standing in the cold watching middle boy play football. I think it tasted even better because we were so cold and hungry!!

That sounds so yummy!! Can't wait to try it.

If you make this let us know how it was!

NM X

No comments:

Post a Comment

Let me know if this was useful

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin