Monday 30 April 2012

How to throw a Lego Party on a Budget


This year my son was 7. Money was tight and he was Lego obsessed. All he wanted for his birthday was to go to Legoland. He also really wanted a party but I had to really think about this. I really didn’t think I could afford both.

I lucked out and found a really great deal at Legoland which left about £40 of my budget over. Could I do a party for this price? I pride myself on being a creative budgeter (see my  blog www.family-budgeting.co.uk)

Here’s what I did.

First I bought him a Lego movie he really wanted called the Adventures of Clutch Powers



It was only £6.

He invited 6 boys to his Film party and they sat spellbound by the movie for over an hour munching homemade popcorn which cost about £4.

After they had a simple tea, sandwiches, fruit and crisps and a juice plus 2 little cakes each £15.

We then had a Lego competition where the boys split into teams and made something and everyone else had to guess what it was. Hilarious!

We also had a competition to guess how many Lego pieces were in the tin, Again no prices but a big cheer all round!

We played charades which was great fun and then my son had to sit in his chair whilst the other boys had to hunt for the giant piece of Lego. When they found they had to bring it back to my son (it’s actually his lunch box now but then was his gift from his sister! £10 from Amazon) Inside it had a scrap of paper that said. ‘Now your party is over we are going to get in the car and go straight to…Legoland love Mummy and Daddy’!  He was so thrilled.

The boys were each given a Lego mini figure (£14) instead of a party bag. The Lego cake he had was bought by his aunty as a requested gift.
 It was a fab party and it cost just £39 and a few pennies!

By Becky

3 comments:

  1. Sounds like a great party! Thanks for the useful tips.. xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great post thank you
    It's amazing how kids can really enjoy themselves on not a whole lot of money.
    I think it's parents who get caught up in the big parties.
    They often don't want to feel embarrassed in front of other parents.
    Well done
    Inger - The Brick LIfe

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete

Let me know if this was useful

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin